Basement conversion services for customers in Shipley
There are a variety of reasons why homeowners in Shipley choose to undergo a basement conversion. Many begin the process out of necessity, either because their basement is damp and – providing your budget can stretch to a full conversion – it makes sense to utilise the new space. Or it may be that a lack of space in their period property necessitates expansion, often a cellar conversion is simpler than extending outwards.
The types of property in Shipley
Aside from the typically Victorian village of Saltaire which resides within Shipley’s elevated shadow, residential property in the town itself is reminiscent of its industrial surroundings. Much like Bradford, there are a mix of terraces, larger terraced town houses and semi-detached properties. What ties them together is the Victorian’s unfaltering interest in the cellar.
Cellars were primarily built as cold storage facilities, being underground and therefore closer to a water source creates a cool (damp) environment. Pantry shelves would often not make contact with the actual walls of the cellar so the damp conditions were not a serious issue.
Alongside this, the houses were new. The damp issues we associate with period properties today, like rising damp, are a product of damp cellars and the passing time. That said, a damp cellar now provides little use and through waterproofing and subsequent basement conversion, you not only gain added space but eliminate future damp concerns.
Options for basement conversions
Whether you’re deciding to convert your basement because of damp issues, a need for more space or simply because you want to – there a plethora of choices to add value to your every day life, as well as your house:
- Home Office – Free up space above ground and cut out the commute.
- Kitchen Diner – If space allows, create an underground kitchen and dining room, providing you with more living space upstairs
- Home Gym – Reduce your monthly costs and keep ‘keeping fit’ close to home
- En-Suite Bedroom – Move the master bedroom downstairs and give yourselves that en-suite you’ve always dreamed of
- Practice Space – Budding musicians will know the cost of renting a decent practice space, well now you can have your own
- Home Cinema – Is any more explanation needed?
Contact the Pure Basement team for more information
You can read about our process in detail here, but if you should have any further questions regarding the basement conversion process or if you would like to organise your free, no-obligation quotation survey – please don’t hesitate to get in touch.